WHAT IS A JERRY CAN?
A Jerry can is a container designed mainly to hold different kinds of liquids such as petrol, diesel, kerosene, various chemicals, lubricants and other liquids.
Jerry Can manufacturers usually design them using 100% virgin grade plastic so as to facilitate longer storage.
DESIGN AND STRUCTURE
The jerry cans are all designed by plastic can manufacturers in such a way that any liquid can be transferred with minimal wastage. There is a small hose fitted on top of the container in order to facilitate spillage-free transfer. This design comes in handy when handling chemicals, solvents or a highly flammable material.
Earlier, jerry cans used to be made out of metals like steel but since then, plastic jerry cans have dominated the market due to them being low cost, highly portable and highly durable as well.
APPLICABILITY OF JERRY CANS IN DAILY USAGE
Jerry cans are extensively used for:
1. carrying water for everyday use,
2. carrying pesticides, insectides by farmers,
3. holding fuel and gasoline and
4. storing, transporting chemicals/solvents and other chemical liquids.
APPLICATION OF JERRY CANS IN VARIOUS INDUSTRIES
- Chemical Industries – Used for storing, transporting and transferring solvents, chemical compounds and non-volatile liquids.
- Flavour and Fragrances: to store raw materials like oils, herbal pastes, seed-oils, etc. Their seal-proof and leak-proof lids ensure zero spillage of expensive raw material.
- Cleaner and Painting Industry: jerry cans are extensively used for storing industrial cleaning solvents, varnishes, detergents, etc.
- Pesticide Industry: jerry cans are useful in carrying pesticide/insecticide solvents while farmers spray the crops since they are highly portable and light-weight.
Amongst these, jerry cans have substantial applicability in the Animal Health Care industry, Heavy Industries, Manufacturing Industry, Automobile industry, etc.
TYPES OF PLASTIC JERRY CANS FOR STORING LIQUIDS
1. SQUARE CANS (Avg. storing capacity – 5L)
The most commonly used cans in the World. You will see people holding anything from fuel to chemical solvents in these containers. Mostly used by industries and factories. Any type of liquids and solvents can be store in these cans.
Manufacturers of plastic jerry cans use High Molecular Polyethylene (HMPE) and virgin grade plastic granules in order to be compliant to ISO & food safety standards.
2. SMALL/MEDIUM JERRY CANS (Avg. storing capacity – 500 ml to 15 L)
Unlike Square Jerry Cans, these kinds are usually used in domestic households and institutions to hold, store, transport day-to-day liquid materials like water, detergent solvents, even Ganga Water (sold in miniature jerry cans), etc.
Small/medium Jerry Cans are made out of High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) and are supplied by jerry can manufacturers with leak proof caps and plugs equipped with gas vents, wads or silicon gasket.
3. CROSS-HANDLE JERRY CANS (Avg. storing capacity – 500 ml to 5L)
The peculiar shape of the handle is made deliberately in order to facilitate easy transfer of fuel from the container into the vehicle’s fuel tank. We are familiar with the nozzle in an automobile’s fuel tank, right? So, the unique shaped hose in Cross handle cans enables the container to lock in with the fuel nozzle for a spill-free fuel transfer.
4. OVAL JERRY CANS (Avg. storing capacity – 1L to 5L)
If you have ever purchased an industry sized liquid detergent in the market then you will know oval jerry cans are. These are usually used for storing cleaner agents and detergents.
(IMAGES CREDIT: MONO INDUSTRIES)